Monday, October 21, 2013

:: veggies the size of my face ::

So, last Thursday I got my first crate from Boston Organics. And this happened:


For those who don't recognize those leaves, they're collard greens. I had to look them up myself. After a quick call to a southern friend, I attempted to cook them up. And despite their colossal nature, it wasn't hard at all. The recipe is below. True diehards will be disappointed that there's no mention of bacon or bacon fat, but I'm on a bit of a vegetarian kick right now and I'm also no Paula Deen. So here's a meat free version of the southern classic. Made by a northerer...

  • 1 lb. chopped collard greens
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add collard greens, and simmer 5 minutes. My southern friend says adding a pinch of baking soda to the water will help to tenderize and take away some of the bitterness.



2.  Drain.
3. Heat olive oil in same pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant. Add greens, and sauté 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt and pepper, and serve warm.



 photo signaturecopy_zpsc80579c1.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for linking! Featuring you tomorrow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete